LRCarray: an array of scintillator detectors to be installed on the IST/Phys Dep roof
The idea is to prepare a set of scitillators stations and make an array of detectors for cosmic ray showers detection (E >~10^15 eV).
The scintillator stations will be deployed in the roof of the Physics Departement of IST (Lisbon) in the framework of the
Lab of Cosmic Rays course.
These stations will be connected to a PC installed in the laboratory from where they are powered and controlled.
The work will consist on:
- reinstall a linux distribution (Fedora 17) in the acquisition server PC
- install the DAQ LRC software in the PC to remotely control an collect stations data
- re-install the HV power control
- integrate all the systems in a single interface that should make the data acquisition, read the temperature of every station and control de HV
- make operational the three scintillator stations:
- paint the acrylic boxes (primario branco multiusos) to avoid overheating from sun radiation
- test the light tightness of the scintillators
- characterize the scintillators response with cosmic muons
Photos of the activities
|Pintura das caixas acrílicas com tinta branca (Ref. ???) para isolamento térmico|
|Setup para teste dos cintiladores. Os cintiladores são alimentados por uma caixa de alta tensão equipada de conversores DC/DC que fornece os 1500V necessários ao funcionamento dos fotomultiplicadores.|